At Randi's Relaxing Hands I practice
- Swedish Massage- Swedish massage therapy is the modality that comes to mind when most people think about massage. As the best-known type of bodywork performed today, one of the primary goals of the Swedish massage technique is to relax the entire body.
This is accomplished by rubbing the muscles with long gliding strokes in the
direction of blood returning to the heart. But Swedish massage therapy goes
beyond relaxation. Swedish massage is exceptionally beneficial for increasing
the level of oxygen in the blood, decreasing muscle toxins, improving
circulation and flexibility while easing tension.
A study conducted by the National Center for Complementary and
Alternative Medicine, and published in The New York Times, found that volunteers
who received a 45-minute Swedish massage experienced significant decreases in
levels of the stress hormone cortisol, as well as arginine vasopressin-a hormone
that can lead to increases in cortisol. Volunteers also had increases in the
number of lymphocytes, white blood cells that are part of the immune system, and
a boost in the immune cells that may help fight colds and the flu.
- Deep Tissue Massage- Deep tissue massage therapy is similar to Swedish massage, but the deeper pressure is beneficial in releasing chronic muscle tension. The focus is on the
deepest layers of muscle tissue, tendons and fascia (the protective layer
surrounding muscles, bones and joints).
A study in the Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine found that
people's blood pressure fell after a single 45 to 60 minute deep tissue massage.
Additionally, a 2010 meta-analysis in the Journal of Clinical Psychiatry found
that massage modalities like deep tissue reduce stress hormone levels and heart
rate while boosting mood and relaxation by triggering the release of oxytocin
- Trigger Point Therapy-A trigger point is a tight area within muscle tissue that causes pain in other parts of the body. A trigger point in the back, for example, may reduce
referral pain in the neck. The neck, now acting as a satellite trigger point,
may then cause pain in the head. The pain may be sharp and intense or a dull
ache.This form of massage applies concentrated finger pressure to "trigger points"
(knots) to reduce pain. It involves placing pressure on that trigger point so
that the muscle can relax and the pain can be lessened. Pressure is generally
applied with fingers, knuckles, and elbows. Similar to Deep Tissue, Trigger
Point Therapy is a deep intense style that can also cause you to feel a little
sore after your treatment. Good for stress reduction, pain management, and
Trigger point massage therapy is specifically designed to alleviate the
source of the pain through cycles of isolated pressure and release. In this type
of massage for trigger point therapy, the recipient actively participates
through deep breathing as well as identifying the exact location and intensity
of the discomfort.
The results and benefits of trigger point massage are releasing constricted
areas in the muscles thus alleviating pain. You can experience a significant
decrease in pain after just one treatment. Receiving massage with trigger point
therapy on a regular basis can help naturally manage pain and stress from
- Sports Massage-Sports massage therapy is geared toward athletes of every kind, from world-class professionals to weekend joggers. The particulars of the sports massage
technique are specific to the athlete's sport of choice. Focusing on areas of
the body that are overused and stressed from repetitive and often aggressive
movements. Sports massage therapy can be used as a means to enhance pre-event preparation and reduce recovery time for maximum performance during training or after an event. Athletes have discovered that specially designed sports massage promotes
flexibility, reduces fatigue, improves endurance, helps prevent injuries and
prepares their body and mind for optimal performance.
- Reflexology-A therapeutic method of relieving pain by stimulating predefined pressure points on the feet and hands. This controlled pressure alleviates the source of the discomfort reflexology may be as effective for promoting good health and for preventing illness as it may be for relieving symptoms of stress, injury, and illness. Its purpose is to promote healing by stimulating the nerves in the body and encouraging the flow of blood. In the process, reflexology not only decreases the sensation of pain, but can relieve the source of the pain as well. Foot Reflexology massage can also be a deeply relaxing and therapeutic modality for those suffering from plantar fasciitis, ankle injuries or even everyday work and play
- Cranial Sacral Therapy-A holistic healing practice that uses very light touching to balance the cranial sacral system in the body, which includes the bones, nerves, fluids, and connective tissues of the cranium and spinal area. Ideally suited for ADHD, headaches, chronic middle ear infection, and general health maintenance. It is recommended for fibromyalgia, heart disease, osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, chronic sinus infections, and gastroenteritis(inflammation of the lining of the stomach or small intestine). It is also used with other therapies to treat chronic fatigue syndrome, back pain, and menstrual irregularity
- Acupressure- an energy based style that helps promote balance in the body by aligning its natural energy(chi). Similar to Acupuncture, except it uses a very light touch instead of needles.